Best way to learn coding, hacking...

Technical Discussions not Related Directly to MHS. For Example, Coding, Hex Editing, General Hacking, Etc.

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat

Best way to learn coding, hacking...

Postby wolf » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:02 am

At which sides can I be totally sure that I will really learn how to write programs...Is this forum good enough or should I learn it somewhere else? And whats important to learn? Example given: What should I know to hack a simple game like pinball or sth. else?
wolf
Sir Hacks-A-Lot

Re: Best way to learn coding, hacking...

Postby L. Spiro » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:21 am

I would rather tackle one issue at a time.
Which do you plan to learn first? Hacking or programming?

Hacking: There are plenty of tutorials on this site and on others on the basics of hacking Pinball, Minesweeper, etc.
You can also check http://www.gamehacking.com/.

Coding: There are people here who have some skills in coding and could answer your questions.
I myself:
#1: Wrote MHS from scratch.
#2: Am a published author related to coding in C++.
#3: Have taught C++ and game programming at a university overseas.
#4: Have worked for Eidos, Atari, Lucas Arts, Ubisoft, Konami, Vivendi Universal, and some others, typically as the lead/senior programmer.
#5: Am currently the CTO (head of technology) for a game company in Japan.

I may be able to answer any questions you have regarding C++/coding in general, but that does not mean I have the time (or willingness) to do so; I don’t do one-on-one because everything I say falls on the ears of only one person. If I wanted to teach, I would go to a classroom where those same words would benefit 30 people at once, making my words 30 times more valuable.

This site is mainly for help with MHS, and to a lesser degree hacking in general.
I don’t think a free site exists where people will just teach random others how to code, but if you are looking for free resources, http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/ has a few coders near my level. Otherwise an online school can be used, if you are willing to pay.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Return to Technical Unrelated