Minimize process upon breakpoint

Need Help With an Existing Feature in Memory Hacking Software? Ask Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Minimize process upon breakpoint

Postby CoMPMStR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:25 am

Just as the title says, I need to know if it's possible to minimize the window just before the breakpoint pauses the process.

The game I'm hacking now can only be run in fullscreen mode. If I set a breakpoint, when it hits, the process will pause and there's no way to minimize it in such a state. This causes the game window to freeze on screen and the only way out is to forcefully restart or maybe press Alt+F4 to close all windows. I haven't tried but I've had the game freeze up from locking the wrong value and the same thing happened where I had to restart so I can assume the same would happen with this as well.

.NET Trainer Helper Library

~Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

L. Spiro wrote:In my left hand is a red pill. If you take it I will show you the truth. I lost my right hand in the war, so I’m afraid you’re stuck with the red pill.
CoMPMStR
(P)ot (I)n (M)y (P)ipe

Re: Minimize process upon breakpoint

Postby L. Spiro » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:55 am

This is a flaw that will forever plague Windows (or maybe up to Windows 7 since DirectX® is more controlled there).
When a breakpoint hits all threads in the process stop, including the thread that listens for window messages. Getting a message to the window is the only way to make it minimize, and typically this is the same thread as what is on the breakpoint. Which means the only way to minimize it would be to release it from its breakpoint, but then that would make the breakpoint useless.

There is no solution for this on Windows machines, and will happen regardless of the software you use for debugging.
Rather than a solution the alternative is to use remote debugging supported by Cheat Engine or multiple monitors.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Re: Minimize process upon breakpoint

Postby CoMPMStR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:56 pm

I figured as much. :cry:

I'll just have to get a longer S-Video cable and use my TV as another monitor, since I don't have another PC from which to do remote debugging. Thanks.

.NET Trainer Helper Library

~Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

L. Spiro wrote:In my left hand is a red pill. If you take it I will show you the truth. I lost my right hand in the war, so I’m afraid you’re stuck with the red pill.
CoMPMStR
(P)ot (I)n (M)y (P)ipe

Return to Help