Unknown Static Value

Need Help With an Existing Feature in Memory Hacking Software? Ask Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Unknown Static Value

Postby Fukc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 pm

I tried to google but such kind words lead only to bullshit so i have to make another thread here.

I'm interested in changing a memory value which is unknown to me and it never changes.
In my case its a gravity in this one game (SP).

What would be the possible ways of finding such memory address?

Only way i could think of right now is writing a hook for KeyDown or any other similar api which is being used by the application. And make it breakpoint if "Move up" key is pressed and continue from there.
Fukc
I Ask A Lot Of Questions

Postby trialusert » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:39 pm

I've dealt with such things before, but first I need to know what's the name of the game
trialusert
NULL

Postby Fukc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:45 pm

trialusert wrote:I've dealt with such things before, but first I need to know what's the name of the game

I dont think you will know it, it's made with GameMaker by some random dude and the game is maybe known to aprox 50ppl.

As the title says, it's static unknown value, it doesnt even have to be gravity, i took that as an example to experiment in this kind of situation.

I assume that you would recommend me to go into game and use a console command to change the gravity in order to change it & then search for it.
Fukc
I Ask A Lot Of Questions

Postby trialusert » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 pm

If you know the game was made with Game Maker, you can run it and check how it sets gravity... For example, search how Game Maker uses GML to set gravity, and then check if it works the same in your game. If it isn't, then search for other methods such as Drag&Drop (... you'll see there aren't too many methods. It should really reduces your options).
MHS' Diassembler may be of use.
trialusert
NULL

Postby Fukc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:04 pm

trialusert wrote:If you know the game was made with Game Maker, you can run it and check how it sets gravity... For example, search how Game Maker uses GML to set gravity, and then check if it works the same in your game. If it isn't, then search for other methods such as Drag&Drop (... you'll see there aren't too many methods. It should really reduces your options).
MHS' Diassembler may be of use.

Yeah i was thinking about that myself. But this still doesnt solve the main question i have.
If i was to make a custom application myself and told you that it had a memory address with a value in it which you dont know, it's always the same and if it's changed to 10 then the program will not start anymore.

Then you would obviously search for checks in the program starting code but my point is isnt there any other way to do it? What methods are there to find static values from memory addresses.

You mentioned something about drag&drop, never heard about it.
Fukc
I Ask A Lot Of Questions

Postby trialusert » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:06 pm

You'll have to look around functions that access those static addresses that you search for. If I had to find a game's gravity (without being able to control it through the game), I would search for functions that may somehow access gravity, such as -jumping/walking/running etc... Once I find all of those function, I would look for a same CALL that appears in all of them.

For instance:

020DF543 ***
020DF544 ***
020DF545 CALL 05F5F5F5
020DF546 ***

033EB8C5 ***
033EB8C5 CALL 05F5F5F5
033EB8C5 ***
033EB8C5 ***

High chances that 05F5F5F5 is the starting address of a function that writes/sets/deals with the game gravity.
Also, you can view the game bytes with MHS Hex Editor and search for (highlighted) static addresses.
trialusert
NULL

Return to Help