How to call remote function?

Need Help With an Existing Feature in Memory Hacking Software? Ask Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

How to call remote function?

Postby nopnop » Sun May 24, 2009 2:20 am

Can anyone show an example how to call a remote function from target process? It doesn't work for me, return value is always 0, and process does nothing, but i'm almost sure i give correct parameters. :?
nopnop
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Sun May 24, 2009 7:55 am

In what? Scripts or the Disassembler?

You need to be sure you also set the registers correctly if they need to be set to any specific value. You need the latest MHS.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby nopnop » Mon May 25, 2009 5:01 am

Dissassembler. I tried with registers, i've set a breakpoint on function and check, then used it, but it didn't help.
nopnop
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Mon May 25, 2009 5:53 pm

You should show how you are calling the function and the disassembly of something that calls it.

There are many reasons why calling a remote function could produce no visible results.

#1: The pointers you are passing are invalid. If you see the game pass pointers, and you try to pass the same pointers, the function will often fail because your pointers are not pointing to allocated data. The game passes pointers to data it has allocated or to values on the stack, both of which will become invalid after the game frees the data or returns from the function.

#2: The game has a flag elsewhere that tells it to react or not to that function call. If the function checks a global and returns without doing anything if the global is set to 0, you need to set it to 1 before calling the function.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Return to Help