Pointers and Static Addresses [for beginners]

Need Help With an Existing Feature in Memory Hacking Software? Ask Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Pointers and Static Addresses [for beginners]

Postby kiwishoepolish » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi,

I have dedicated countless hours to finding pointers/static addresses. I have failed each time.

Well, I've returned back to this forum in order to try and solve this issue once more.

I have read almost all the threads in this forum and I still do not understand...

I'm not even that much of noob at finding codes. I have found many amazing codes for emulator games. The problem is I just cannot seem to be able to get pointers...

Let's take my current example, Final Fantasy 9 on PSX Emulator (PCSX):

I have found the RAM address of 'characters health'. Now if I close the emulator or reset my computer, it will no longer be stored in the same location!
I have seen tutorials for other programs that show 3 step methods to finding pointers, but I've tried them and they certainly do not work..

Could someone be as so kind, to help me solve this problem.

Thank you for reading!
kiwishoepolish
I Have A Few Questions

Postby minorutono » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:20 am

I'm most familiar with WhiteHat's ASM Auto-Hack Disassembler method...Found Here.

How far are you able to get using this one?
Does it not work, or do you not get it?

I'm trying to understand your problem.
minorutono
i R t3h nUB!!111

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:15 am

The reason you are not getting anywhere is because you are hacking emulated games.
Any static pointers you find are part of the emulator, not the game.
The game uses a separate virtual memory-management system which you will have to understand to search for and use pointers. You must also create a translation system to convert the virtual emulated address to a real address in the Windows® virtual memory system.

Luckily, you are using MHS, which is the only memory searcher that employs scripts, and this is the only way to create the type of system you will need.

You can not use debugging and disassembling on emulated games.
You have only the search tool available.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby Ivanpm » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Hey sorry for bumping this for my problem.

Well, in my game lets say i have my ammo pointer and when u substract say 0xBF92 of that address it gives me the recoil address and that is the case of every server.

The thing here is that ALMOST every time i change from server or map(some maps use the same address so it doesn't change) the pointer of my ammo changes which makes me think that there has to be something static. Will it be the player pointer?? If so how do you actually find this. Or the server pointer??

I know it is the ammo pointer as in every time i respawn it doesnt change and so but only in that map.

Sorry if I'm just saying nonsense and got ideas twisted :/
I must read the MHS help file before asking questions.
Ivanpm
Hackleberry Fin

Postby L. Spiro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:34 pm

You have found an item that is part of a structure which contains both the ammo and recoil values.
It is reallocated at least as often as you change servers/maps, and reset at least as often as you die.

If you want to find the pointer to that structure, and then find all the pointers to the base of it, there are plenty of tutorials on this site regarding how to do so. The first step is the Auto-Assembler, or, if you prefer, the Pointer Search.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby Ivanpm » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:23 am

But the thing is that I have done Pointer Searches already.

I search for the range of the address and when i write my complex address I end up with the same address I had the first time so it's pretty anoying :/

Ok, so I have this 5 addresses all of ammo from different servers. How can i find the pointer or structure??
I must read the MHS help file before asking questions.
Ivanpm
Hackleberry Fin

Return to Help