Operating system concepts

Learn or Teach General Knowledge Related to Coding or Hacking

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Operating system concepts

Postby troublesh00ter » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm currently taking an introductory course on operating system concepts, I major in Mechanical Engineering, so it is completely outside of my normal curriculum but I decided to take it as I have a deep interest in the topic.

If some people share the same interest, then I wouldn't mind writing some articles about the theory explained in the course.
A basic outline of the theory:
- Process management ( What IS a process/thread and how do operating systems schedule processes/'jobs' ).
- Multi threaded programming.
- Synchronization issues and how to prevent them.
- Deadlocks.
- Memory management strategies ( Paging, segmentation etc. ).
- Virtual memory management.
( this is where we are in the course right now )
- File Systems
- I/O Systems
- System Protection / security
- Distributed / real-time systems (less interesting for me)
- 'Case studies' of Linux and Windows XP.

There also is a 'practical' part to this course, where we have to hand in assignments that have something to do with one of the above topics. The first assignment is due 12/16/2009 so if people are interested I could post the assignment after this date - so people who are interested can do these assignments as well and learn from it.

Let me know what you think.
troublesh00ter
Sir Hacks-A-Lot

Re: Operating system concepts

Postby g3nuin3 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Most definietly interested, sounds good.
g3nuin3
Acker

Postby smithdwsn » Fri May 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Operating System provides an environment for a computer user to execute programs on computer hardware in a convenient and efficient manner.
It consists of many several instructions and programs. Some basic theory about it, you have to understand. Such as process management,multi threading,synchronization,deadlocks, segmentation,virtual memory etc. Also some interesting topics are file Systems, i/o Systems,protection, distributed system.
smithdwsn
I Have A Few Questions

Postby troublesh00ter » Sun May 23, 2010 12:10 am

I have honoustly forgotten about this thread... when I find the time soon I'll start writing something up.. next year I'll be assisting with the mentioned course so it will be useful for that as well.
troublesh00ter
Sir Hacks-A-Lot

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:04 am

It can be very interesting to learn about the concepts but unfortunately it does not directly help with programming for the most part. I've read a bit about the windows operating system design myself - If your interested you should read the windows internals book or pdf.
Eugene
I Have A Question

Return to Knowledge Base