Suggestion: make an extern edit of savefiles better possible

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Suggestion: make an extern edit of savefiles better possible

Postby SpeedyGonzales » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:26 am

Hi L. Spiro,

long times ago and i missing some updates in MHS :shock:

well today i send u again a new suggestion and hope u can understand my problem with it.

I have alot MHS-Savefiles and u know my last Suggestion about the short-pointer-ways.
Now when i have realy alot lines in a savefile with nearly same routines but only smal think in every line is diffrent and i need to change some in the lines (descriptions or some think in the code) then i must normaly use the standard way in ur MHS to edit any entry (remeber i have more as 300 lines or more!).

Did i am now try to edit extern the savefile with an hex-editor and some auto-functions, then it isnt possible to use after edit, in MHS. Becoz MHS line-lenght is changed! MHS does check at loading a savefile, the right line-lenght. i think u have at savetime in MHS build in per line an marker with an info for the line-lenght at savetime and did it save also.

But exactly this marker we dont need here, becoz it should possible to edit extern (sure in a hex-editor) also the lines. it should possible to change the line-content, but not the line-format or somethink others!

Here an example:

this is what i have at savefile and wish to change extern: [[[[[[[[[[[[0x030B0000+11644-12]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+80
this is what i will have new at savefile after extern edit..: [[[[[[[[[[[0x030B0000+1144-12]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+96]+80

But it isnt loadable, becoz line-lenght has changed...

This is only an example, i have alot text and other thinks in my lines with often same thinks and i am not able to edit/change the only some content in a faster way per extern hex-edit. To make them only in MHS is often to much and needs too long time.

Is it you possible to make them possible???

Best regards from Germany :idea: :mrgreen:

PS: some others suggestions follows...
SpeedyGonzales
I Have A Few Questions

Re: Suggestion: make an extern edit of savefiles better possible

Postby L. Spiro » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:57 pm

The file should load if you change the number before the string, which indicates the length of the string.
You can also use AddAddress() in the scripts to add numerous addresses in any way you please. You can create multiple variants of the script for each of the variants of addresses you want to save.

I have not forgotten your previous suggestion(s), but it is unlikely I will update MHS ever again, so the source code will be released within the next 6 months.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby SpeedyGonzales » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 am

Hi L. Spiro,

thx for answer.

But the problem is with your Script-System, i canot work becouz to low dokumentation and to much work to learn all completly new without the understanding this. sorry but this problem did have alot peoplez, we not born to know asm and c++. sure i have for many years ago, try to learn c++ and also asm, but if u dont have time and someone how can it u didnt have a realy chance.
I have view alot in your forum here but no one of the infos about that what i am search and how to learn all this is found. also i am not the perfect english men. your scripting-sys i know sure, very good and i wish to can use them..., i know what it can.

The next about ur info to can change the line-marker in front of the line about line-lenght, is good to know. but also here, i have to change much lines from hand now i have also to calculate the line lenght? sorry but that isnt a help. becouse i dont know the line lenghts after change and so on..., especialy when u use an hex editor.

Sure i have read some days ago, that u wana release the source, i personaly didnt know or understand it, but is your work and i think u know what u do or not. I respect you and i wish can a half of that u can in progging.

What i am not realy understand, why u wont work anymore at MHS? Have u no time more or whats the prob?

L. Spiro i can progg, but with other languages and sorry but i dont have the time and friends how can help me to use and understand ur system. sure i can here in forum do some questions but realy helpfully isnt it. Also i have read many times the helpfile, and some source codes, but didnt help me to understand that what i need, to understand to make my own scripts in short times.

Oki, i have to go eat now...

Friendly regards from Germany
SpeedyGonzales
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:18 pm

The language is just C with some extras.
There is plenty of learning material online on how to learn C, and my help file bridges the gaps.

I do not work on MHS anymore mainly because I simply do not want to.
The other reason is that if I have spare time, it is a waste to spend it on MHS when there is a commercial game engine that is higher priority and needs to be completed this year December. If I have spare time, I need to work on the engine first. Then piano (going to give a concert at the end of this month). Then art ($30,000 per drawing makes it higher priority than MHS).
If MHS ever became the highest priority on my list I would be a sad human being.

If working the scripts, which are easier than programming, is too much, why would a save editor be any easier?
If the save editor were as fully-featured as you would need for the type of editing you are doing, it would just be another scripting language inside the editor.

Why not just learn how to do this very simple task?
It is just one programming task, and once you have done it you will be able to do more and more until finally you have conquered the earth and all humans are your slaves.
And more importantly, you could start off on a very good career in programming.

Trust me when I say that nothing is better than knowing how to program. Once you can program, all computers are under your full control, and you know how dangerous that can be.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions