Auto Update? [Feature Request]

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Auto Update? [Feature Request]

Postby KarmaPixel » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:16 am

Sometimes users enjoy your software so much they forget to check the site for updates to it. I just maybe thought having A feature that checks from the source for updates each time your mhs is started then apply or maybe having somthing in the file/help menu of mhs that says "Check for updates". That way regardless how old or new the gnu are to using your masterpiece they will always have the latest release or can check for one through the software itself. :wink:
KarmaPixel
Hacker Smacker

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:52 am

I have considered it before, but I don’t want to get into all the hassle of having my site change and then having a million clients that search for a site that isn’t there.

To make it correctly, I would need to:
Create an option to turn it off; do not waste time searching if the site is known to be down.
Create an option to change to a new site.
Of course, the actual download interface.

Until previously, this was never even plausible, because the project was disorganized I would never be able to get the downloading routine in (correctly).
As I have now completely started over, creating an entirely new project file, and everything is 100% organized, it will be possible in the future, but certainly a long way off while I reconstruct the whole thing from scratch.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby IcameIsawIcheated » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:37 pm

With auto updating comes the inevitable questions of, the ppl who don't know what a firewall is, or think that the update feature is a trojan of some sort.

I still agree that this is a good idea though and I would like it too. Also an announcement/sticky in the forum with the latest version and a download link would be great for those taht don't check the main page all that much and mainly the forums. :)
IcameIsawIcheated
Hackleberry Fin

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions