[Bug/Problem] Auto-Assemble; no text box to input code?

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

[Bug/Problem] Auto-Assemble; no text box to input code?

Postby Dyndrilliac » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:44 am

I have been working on a hack for a certain game and I would have liked to use the Auto-Assemble functionality in your program to check the lengths of certain instruction combinations without actually having to write them to the games memory. Unfortunately, when I pull up the auto-assemble window from under the "Tools" drop-down menu, the box where I imagine a text box should be is greyed out and there is nothing there.

So I'm stuck with a message box asking me to input code with nowhere to input it.
Dyndrilliac
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:50 pm

The Scintilla control did not load which means the DLL did not drop.
Ensure that your directory is not removable and you have write permissions.
Ensure you are the administrator of the computer.

Ensure you are running a supported version of Windows.

Additionally, I can confirm that this is related to your Hex Editor issue.

L. Spiro
Last edited by L. Spiro on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby toffey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:56 pm

Are you using multiple monitors? I have an issue similar to this where things do not show up when they are loaded on my secondary monitor. To fix it I have to bring them back to my primary monitor and resize the window. Once I do that I am able to move it back over to the other monitor and it will work just fine.
toffey
Hack-Master Hex

Postby Dyndrilliac » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:11 am

I am not using multiple monitors, I am the administrator, I'm using 32bit Vista SP2, and I installed the program directory to my "Program Files" directory that Windows uses by default for all installed non-system software where I have both read, write, and execute permissions.

Should right-clicking on the executable and selecting "Run As Administrator" fix the problem? Because doing so does make the text box appear in the Auto-Assemble, but then the program refuses to find any values in an opened process. For example, opening OUTLOOK.EXE after running MHS as the administrator and searching for all unknown values produces zero results, which is ludicrous.
Dyndrilliac
I Have A Few Questions

Postby g3nuin3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Hello

Also ensure that the kernel function options are disabled, there are unknown causes as to why this functionality removes MHS's ability to return results. Although its obvious its the kernel driver :p
g3nuin3
Acker

Postby L. Spiro » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:37 am

The kernel functions mentioned above should be your final solution.
Running as administrator seems to be required on some machines. This will allow MHS to function normally (and your Hex Editor will be fixed as well), however MHS does not recognize the kernel of your operating system (because of the service pack), and so the kernel functions must be disabled.

I get my new computer in 2 weeks with Windows 7 Ultimate. I will then update MHS to work on the following operating systems:
Windows Vista Service Pack 1
Windows Vista Service Pack 2
Windows 7

You may have noticed that Windows Vista is not part of my new machine, and I already have Windows Vista on my current machine, so you may be wondering why I am waiting for the new machine to upgrade my existing Windows Vista with service packs.
The answer is simple. I currently have little or no hard drive space. I can not even download the service packs. I need the new computer to transfer some files so I have room to upgrade.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby g3nuin3 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:34 pm

So in two weeks there will be magic.
g3nuin3
Acker

Postby Dyndrilliac » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:14 am

Ah, excellent. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Just FYI, I am now running as administrator and I have turned off the kernel options and now both auto-assemble and searching is working correctly at the same time, but the hex editor still isn't functioning properly. It no longer hoses the file, but it still doesn't save changes that I make to the file. After I save my changes and then open the file in an editor that I know works it's as if it was never changed at all.

Edit 2: Also, undo and redo do not work. And, when I click on a particular byte at an offset to change, I cannot go back and change bytes at offsets appearing prior to the one that I clicked on. I have to select and change them in the order that they appear.
Dyndrilliac
I Have A Few Questions

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions