Packet editor?

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Packet editor?

Postby A_Republican » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:32 am

I'm going to be a little vague in my suggestion, but here it goes:

How about a packet editor? One better than WPE. I know your program is a memory editor, but it's for game hacking, and packet editing is part of game hacking.

The below examples I just pulled off the top of my head, they're probably not even feasible and just completely stupid.

1. The packet editor could catch packets based on certain conditions, a mouse click, a key pressed, button click, etc.

2. In a lot of games there are health bars, how about only catching packets that decrease\increase the health bar, energy bar, snickers bar, etc.

In my experience with game hacking, searching through packets became very tedious and annoying.

Please feel free to ignore this suggest, as I am a noob in the realm of game hacking.
A_Republican
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:42 pm

I do not have plans for a packet editor, however one can already be crafted together by using breakpoint handlers.

In fact, it seems this is probably more appropriate for your needs anyway.
If you are catching mouse clicks, buttons, etc., you would be better of setting breakpoints in the message handlers for the windows (or other strategic places).

This applies to monitoring health bars as well.
Every game is different, and you can’t just say a packet is for modifying health/energy.
You have to do game-specific research to determine this type of information, and once you do, you will find it best to simply use a breakpoint on the health itself.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby AlaXul » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:07 am

It should be also noted that games typically do not send packets based on events, rather they send packets continuesly containing various data flags. Packet editors such as WPE search for specific byte patterns and then modify them on the fly. As for what they may contain, as L.Spiro mentioned, you would need to do a lot of research in understanding their meanings. Also, many new games add encryption to major parts of the packet data and only leave simple things like movement and postion unencrypted. The only thing you may have going for you is that the encryption level will probably be fairly trivial due to performance limitations, this should allow you to reverse engineer the encryption.
AlaXul
Sir Hacks-A-Lot

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions