modifying stored address also overrides value

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

modifying stored address also overrides value

Postby BrunoFr » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:42 am

let s say i store an adress. but i want to modify it, because i found a way to split it in a complex address or any other reason. if i dont manually clear the current value control, it overrides the value whereas i just want to modify the address.

would be more intuitive to do this way
- if i change the current value -> set new value when ok is pressed
- if i dont change it (cause for instance i just wanna modify address) -> dont override when ok is pressed
BrunoFr
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:19 am

I had considered such a system, but frankly it will confuse the hell out of people (who rarely read help files) why it sometimes changes and sometimes does not.

But I am still considering such a system.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby Malakai » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 am

Have to add my 2 cents here. This is currently _killing_ me.

I'm on a new project, and I'm hunting around and messing with complex addresses non-stop. I'm crashing my game like crazy because I inadvertently take garbage from one location and overwrite some new spot when I update my address.

IMO, the OK button should _RARELY_ overwrite data when you hit OK.

Only if you dirty the "Cur Value" field, should it even offer to overwrite the value.

I'm working with an Online game, and originally I didn't want to do _any_ memory witting. I about freaked when I updated a complex address for a location and my health bar in game went to some outrageous number.

I'd really like a way to make these read-only, or specify a read-only mode, so that I can't overwrite the values. Plus, one entity pointer overwrite and crash goes the client (when all I wanted to do was change the complex address).

Right now, I close MHS, re-open it, and open back up my locations (without attaching to my process), I then updated my locations due to patches/etc. I then attach to the process. If I have a change to make, I repeat that procedure.
Malakai
I Have A Few Questions

Postby CoMPMStR » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:55 pm

If you want to update the address, complex address, or locked value without modifing the value itself; just delete the value from the current value slot before clicking OK. This will allow you to modify anything except the current value, then when you click OK the value will then be read correctly without changing it.

The OK button overwrites data entered in the box, if nothing is entered there is nothing to be overwritten.. end of story. :D

Try selecting multiple entries with different values to see what I mean, the boxes with the different values will be left blank so they aren't overwritten with any new values.

.NET Trainer Helper Library

~Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

L. Spiro wrote:In my left hand is a red pill. If you take it I will show you the truth. I lost my right hand in the war, so I’m afraid you’re stuck with the red pill.
CoMPMStR
(P)ot (I)n (M)y (P)ipe

Postby SeanPro » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:22 am

CoMPMStR wrote:If you want to update the address, complex address, or locked value without modifing the value itself; just delete the value from the current value slot before clicking OK. This will allow you to modify anything except the current value, then when you click OK the value will then be read correctly without changing it.

The OK button overwrites data entered in the box, if nothing is entered there is nothing to be overwritten.. end of story. :D

Try selecting multiple entries with different values to see what I mean, the boxes with the different values will be left blank so they aren't overwritten with any new values.

lol wow...CoMPMStR returns...
SeanPro
I Know Your Poop

Postby WhiteHat » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:04 pm

I have been doing the same trick as CoMPMStR for quite a while...

It was a little bit confusing though since i used ArtMoney a lot before
MHS Demos released...
.. to boldly go where no eagle has gone before...
WhiteHat
Elang Djawa

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions