Can't get software execute breakpoint working in 4.0.0.6

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Can't get software execute breakpoint working in 4.0.0.6

Postby fabsyi » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:27 pm

Hi,
I was trying some simple breakpoint setting, just by setting MHS to single step on breakpoint, but the break never occurred.
I set it to hardware mode and it worked fine, however nothing happened when I set a software execute breakpoint.
I tried it in 4.0.0.5 to see if it worked, and it worked fine in that version.

Has something been changed in this version that effects software execute breakpoints?

Thanks
fabsyi
Hackleberry Fin

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Nothing related to the debugger or breakpoints changed from 4.0.0.5 to 4.0.0.6.

If software execute breakpoints can not be set it is because the game is preventing the change of memory due to page protections.

MHS 4.0.0.7 already changes the page protection before setting the breakpoint so this will no longer be a problem.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby fabsyi » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Ok.
I am just trying in minesweeper, just the inc instruction that increments the timer. I don't think minesweeper would implement any type of protection would they? And uts strange why it works in 4.0.0.5 and not 4.0.0.6.

Another thing, I read somewhere on the forums that you were going to add some type of trace functionality to the debugger with the option to compare with previous runs or something. Is this still planned? Cause it would be a cool feature.

Thanks
fabsyi
Hackleberry Fin

Postby L. Spiro » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:38 am

Page protections do not imply anti-cheat protections. It is normal for any application to set its code section to execute-only (which implies read as well) if there is no data in the code section that changes.

I am still planning the logging feature, but first I have to make my debugger kernel-mode so that going into SYSCALL does not throw off the log.
In the previouw Memory Hacking Software, the logging feature was already there (but hidden) and going into kernel-mode code would always cause the log’s stack alignment to be off.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions