interface bugs

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

interface bugs

Postby wannabe » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:06 pm

hello world,

i found some small cosmetic interface bugs when using classic mode in windows XP:

1. some text is truncated:

2. icon bar is not flat

3. program flickers when starting.

on my old laptop I found the reason for this behavior.
the MDI children "exp. eval" & "found adr" are undocked in the first 1/100 sec when starting the program.

the problem here is that this move/rearrangement is visible on slow & old computers. the program should start with all children in the correct place.

I've created also a video:
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=vrdcm9&s=5

that's all folks!
wannabe
I Have A Question

Postby L. Spiro » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:41 am

Feel free to continue searching for bugs, but unfortunately these issues were already known, and more unfortunately there is no solution to any of them (including the flickering).

Flat icons simply do not work on classic Windows. To get them you have to manually draw the buttons, and that is far too much work for no gain.

The text going out of their boxes is a bug in Windows; it is supposed to handle text metrics correctly and resize the entire dialog accordingly, but in some cases does not.

All windows that store their positions and dockable states are managed by a window manager. In order to handle all windows it must naturally not know about any specific case. And the windows must already be visible before they can be docked, so hiding them and showing them again will not work.
And the flickering is actually caused by something much deeper than just showing the window in one place and then another. It has to do with the splitter beneath it, or in the dockable window itself, or some form of combination of them. Many Windows MVP’s have looked into this, and I have as well, and no one knows why the windows sometimes grey out until you manually refresh them by moving your mouse over the X icon.

It only happens when a window is docked over a splitter; if the dockable is floating or if a regular control is in a splitter, everything works fine. But when they combine, the dockable window turns grey until you somehow cause it to manually refresh. The flickering at the start is caused by MHS trying to refresh the window on its own after it docks, which is not fully successful, but is the best that can be done until Windows stops having bugs.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions