Struct Builder Bugs and a Suggestion

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Struct Builder Bugs and a Suggestion

Postby martix » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:03 pm

So, I was messing around with the Struct Builder and I noticed at one time the template window in the hex editor was missing.
Tried to go to the menu to pop it up, but it froze and I ended up in some sort of infinite loop with the program trying to get its hands on ever so slightly more memory...
The other bug I discovered is when I try to create something new - be it in the Struct Builder or the typedef editor which just says "Internal error when applying changes." when I try to create it.

And why do my custom structures disappear constantly? Where does the program save them?

Edit: I also have a suggestion - be able to introduce negative values in the offset field.
Because often you encounter landmark bytes like blocks of FF's or 00's and if you could type in negatives, you could base your structs around those blocks of easy to find bytes even if the data you are looking for is above them.
martix
Acker

Postby L. Spiro » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:08 pm

I can not replicate any bugs with the windows.
I can not get any internal errors. Use MHS 5.004 which includes an update to the template system.

It saves custom structures/typedefs to cTypes.lsct. They do not disappear if MHS closes properly. And you do need to click OK.

Negative offsets are not possible, nor required. Data below the start of the structure implies you are not really at the start of the structure.
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby martix » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:10 pm

Well they were one time bugs. Can't really give you any tips on reproducing, since I don't know what I did and they didn't happen more than once. And it didn't save anything when the buggy instances were running... The 4-5th time when I encountered no bugs, it saved properly.

And negatives - its not required, but it was a nice idea, makes sense at least to me.
martix
Acker

Postby L. Spiro » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:50 am

You can insert members at offset 0 and the rest will be shifted down (if you have checked the correct box).
So if you need to shift everything down by 20 bytes, just add a byte with an array of 20.

Logical concreteness is more important than simple convenience. And I mean for you, not for MHS. Although MHS could add a negative offset, you would be unable to use the structure properly. If it is mapped by a pointer all data would be misaligned and it would be useless. For your own sake, you need to map structures as they really are, which means no negative offsets.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions