bugs, questions, suggestions

Find a Bug? Have a Problem? Like to Suggest a Feature? Do it Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

bugs, questions, suggestions

Postby LouCypher » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:18 pm

- You told me in IRC that the latest MHS would load my old T2 bph. Having developed it for use with DefenseTurret so I wouldn't have to modify ingame memory or the executable, I first tried it with DT.

I attached it to Tribes2.exe, tried to go to Disassembler, and Tribes2.exe crashed. Tried to go to Disassembler without DT running and it worked...

BUT

I tried setting the breakpoint and nothing happened. No combination of settings hardware, read/execute/write, etc. worked. I based it off the D3 bph and left the MessageBox calls in ProcessAttach/ProcessDetach but I never saw the dialog either.

My old bph doesn't have an extra parameter for the breakpoint function, but I noticed this was an option now.

So without DT, using my old T2 bph, I can't figure out how to get it to work. With DT I can't disassemble to add a breakpoint.

I checked the helpfile for documentation but didn't see anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I noticed a lot of lag when I open or close the Helper in Disassembler.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I'd prefer to dock the Helper at the bottom of the Disassembler window, instead of only having the option of docking it to the left side.

- I thought I'd be able to load the .mhbpl I distributed with the T2bph source code, but it wasn't a valid .dll and the dialog to Add wouldn't accept it.
LouCypher
Hackleberry Fin

Postby L. Spiro » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:55 am

I attached it to Tribes2.exe, tried to go to Disassembler, and Tribes2.exe crashed. Tried to go to Disassembler without DT running and it worked...

The Disassembler does not modify the game RAM unless specifically told to do so.

I tried setting the breakpoint and nothing happened. No combination of settings hardware, read/execute/write, etc. worked. I based it off the D3 bph and left the MessageBox calls in ProcessAttach/ProcessDetach but I never saw the dialog either.

Enable the Debugger. Opening the Disassembler does not start the Debugger. Breakpoints can be added while not debugging; I plan to add a feature to prompt the user to start the Debugger if it is not started.

My old bph doesn't have an extra parameter for the breakpoint function, but I noticed this was an option now.

It has no effect on old breakpoint handlers.

I checked the helpfile for documentation but didn't see anything.

The next release is taking so long because I am documenting all of this.
I spent 3 days documenting just breakpoints.
Then there is the Debugger, Disassembler, Auto-Hack, Breakpoint Layers, etc.

I'd prefer to dock the Helper at the bottom of the Disassembler window, instead of only having the option of docking it to the left side.

Soon you will have this option because I am going to add a dockable area down there where you could dock the control that shows debug messages.

I thought I'd be able to load the .mhbpl I distributed with the T2bph source code, but it wasn't a valid .dll and the dialog to Add wouldn't accept it.

The next version has more compatibility.

エル スパイロ
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby LouCypher » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:29 am

I was wrong, it isn't Tribes2.exe that crashed.

With DT running, attached to Tribes2.exe, try to open Disassembler and I get the dialog for Visual Studio JIT Debugger with "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in MHS.exe [4044]." Then MHS closes and Tribes2 stops responding.

I thought it might have something to do with running Windows XP x64 so I tried MemHack 3.0.1.4 Pro and it was able to disassemble and debug Tribes2 with DT running. I couldn't use it of course because the breakpoint handler was slow as hell.

I saw your post on GD with the script example for a bph so I'll probably try using it instead of a .dll IF I can use the Disassembler.
LouCypher
Hackleberry Fin

Postby L. Spiro » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:24 pm

It is probably the fact of using x64.
The Disassembler from 3.0.1.4 Pro is completely different from the one used now, rewritten entirely from scratch.
The new one is stable on x86 processors (while the old one is not).

But if I had x64 I could debug and find what is wrong on those processors.

You can try converting it to scripts as you said.
I might buy an x64 process soon and spend a lot of time making it 100% compatible, but that will be at least 2 months from now.

Also await the next release which has more breakpoint features and better documentation.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby LouCypher » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:30 am

Well I tried it again with 4.0.0.1, same results. I still can't open the Disassembler on Tribes2.exe with DT.exe running without MHS crashing.

I suppose at this point in time doing anything with T2 is rather pointless, I just thought I'd maybe get to try out my breakpoint handler without it lagging. I could probably replace the .dll with script functions and expand upon it but I'll have to wait I guess.
LouCypher
Hackleberry Fin

Return to Bugs/Problems/Suggestions