The Debugger/Disassembler

Things I Plan to Add/Remove/Change in the Future

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

The Debugger/Disassembler

Postby L. Spiro » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:30 pm

The Debugger and Disassembler are both going to be removed and redone from scratch.

Here are the changes that will be made:
  • Combined into one window fully resizable.
  • The existing features will be combined with those from OllyDbg, offering the best of both.
  • The debugging routine will be faster, improving performance in break-point handling in games.
  • Script will be added to the breakpoint handlers so more people can write more breakpoint handlers more easily.
  • Logging will finally be finished, which is used to log every instruction executed by the game (within your specified parameters) so that you can follow the code later, without having the game freeze when your breakpoints are hit.
  • The Hex Editor control will be added to the same window.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:50 pm

The Debugger/Disassembler is the current focus for now, so there are a few things to mention regarding its progress.

The current version has already combined them into one window.
The debugging routine is faster, more stable, and more functional.
Scripts have been added to breakpoint handlers already (On_BP_*()).

There are several new features from the last release (Demo #24) too, and some new features in the plans.

The next release of MHS will be able to load and UDD files from OllyDbg. The data it will gather includes user comments, analysis data (loops, switch cases, etc.), user labels, and custom functions (probably).

Soon, possibly even in the next release, my own analyzer will be done, which will also detect custom functions, switch cases, loops, and whatever else I can imagine. It will also display function parameters as it did before and functions will be fully editable.

I also might add support for OllyDbg plug-ins. This is a huge addition, as OllyDbg plug-ins are a very large feature. It is impressive that a single person wrote the whole system. However if I am to support all OllyDbg plug-ins, I too will have to rewrite all of the functions available to the plug-ins. I will also have to trick the existing plug-in files to link to MHS.exe instead of OllyDbg.exe, allowing them to be loaded into MHS and work properly. This would allow people to convert easily from OllyDbg over to MHS, keeping their plug-ins with them.
My plug-in system would also be more extensive, not just emulating every function from the existing OllyDbg plug-in system, but also adding more functions to work with all the extra features in my software, even including scripts.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby noLimit » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Is the analyzer already included?
I don't see it yet... love to have it!
noLimit
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:55 pm

It is not yet done.
I have been working on it today, but it will not be done until I make the function/structure database.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Return to The Future