GDC In San Francisco, then Tokyo

Discussions About Anything Civilized, Hacking or Not

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Postby liqmysaq » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:31 am

sounds like fun, i never been out of north america, mainly USA. i been to mexico a few times on drinking vacations and i've barely stepped into canada. never been overseas once (yet!).

i agree, mezzo would make a good mod if he wants it. he's helped me with my pointer questions alot and seems very knowledgeable/active.
liqmysaq
I Know Your Poop

Postby L. Spiro » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:47 am

mezzo wrote:私と話すオランダ語、フランス語、ドイツ語と英語。日本とロシアのは興味深いものです。私の父は英語だから少なくとも、それはとても簡単だ。

So you only study Japanese and Russian for fun (well I guess you didn’t actually say you study them, just that you have a deep interest, but I assume…).

My story is much simpler.
My dad is Native American/cowboy (all of my dad’s side are cowboys, including the spurs, hats, rope, and funny mustaches) while my mother is British (no accent).
Whatever languages my dad speaks are irrelevant since I only met him a few times in my life, but my mother spoke American English, Spanish, and sign language.

One day I went to school and they said, “You have to study a foreign language in order to graduate.”
So I studied French for 2 years and then dropped out of school.

Armed with French, I began working at the dog track (Wichita Greyhound Park) where they speak only English. While there I met a Vietnamese angel who would change my life, even though she was married and had kids and her husband was with her all the time.

Her attitude, the way she handled herself, her accent—it was all adorable and I loved her eyes. It was then I knew that I just like Asians. No other kind of woman could make me feel that way or see those things (nor do they have those amazing eyes).
Because of that I started hanging in Asian chatrooms until I met a woman I would later love. She was from Hong Kong, so I studied Mandarin for over a year.

When that fell through I was still planning to go to Asia but I didn’t know where. I had a Thai coworker security guard and of course he promoted Thailand to me. So I ended up coming here, where I naturally learned Thai. My boss is French and I worked in France before as well which helps me keep up a bit with my French, and of course since I am going to live in Japan later I study Japanese intensely every day (in a school on Saturdays).

My mother was speaking Spanish to me since I was young so that just came naturally, but I didn’t become advanced or anything. I basically had a clean foundation with a lot of spikes here and there where I picked up things from various sources.

So that is how I happened into English (duh), Japanese, Thai, French, Spanish, and Mandarin. I learned sign language as a child but I forgot everything. I sometimes think about learning it again because it is used quite often in Bangkok and I could spy on their conversations.

Russian and German I know not at all. There was a Russian foreign-exchange student in my French class who never spoke much, but years after the class while she was back in Russia she found me on ICQ. Her reason for seeking me out was that I was “weird”. :?

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby emocore » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:27 pm

mezzo wrote:(and take care in Malaysia, wasn't that the place the ladyboy tried to hit on you????)

:lol:

lol how come ,malaysia is a good country ! im proud of it , as i lived here . :)
how teh hell the idea with ladyboy come out actually? rofl rofl
emocore
Been Around More

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 pm

It was in Thailand.

I bought my phone from a ladyboy who noted my number when he gave me the phone and then called me 10 minutes later while I was trying to hit on some school girls.

Then kept calling telling me he liked me despite my insistance that I only like women. Until I finally just said, “I have a girlfriend already.”

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby emocore » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 pm

ok after exploring a bit i found this thread

http://memoryhacking.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8

now i got teh picture ROFL.
ok it is Thailand not Malaysia. It is common,ladyboy is everywhere but Thailand :o

my comment on ladyboy : they are anywhere is this part of the world, and my mum said, be nice to every creature on ur sight. LOL

u remember the transformers movie?
the username of the hero in Ebay site is..ladiesman217. i wonder if they have sumethin in common
emocore
Been Around More

Postby WhiteHat » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:06 pm

Hey L. Spiro, would you share story or picture of the GDC please ?

Thanks in advance...
.. to boldly go where no eagle has gone before...
WhiteHat
Elang Djawa

Postby Nytwind » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:02 am

I am intrigued by your story, I've noticed you said you dropped out of school, but how did you become a successful programmer if you just left school? Did you come back?
"The best programmers are not marginally better than merely good ones. They are an order-of-magnitude better, measured by whatever standard: conceptual creativity, speed, ingenuity of design, or problem-solving ability."
(Randall E. Stross)
Nytwind
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Whitehat wrote:Hey L. Spiro, would you share story or picture of the GDC please ?

Attack San Francisco! On the deck of an actual ship that was used in Titanic.

Guess the island behind me.

My coworker in our hotel with me checking my forum on my bed.

In a lecture hall.

Look.

In a lecture hall.

Waiting outside the lecture halls.

Nytwind wrote:I am intrigued by your story, I've noticed you said you dropped out of school, but how did you become a successful programmer if you just left school? Did you come back?

Drive = success. Regardless of what I have done in the past or how I handled my education, it would be impossible for me not to be where I am; I would never stop until I got here.

I did not go back to high school. I went to college after falling out (err, dropping). But college was just for papers. I had already taught myself by then and would continue teaching myself afterwards. Dropping out allowed me to get a headstart in the industry since I left school a year early at 17. I graduated college early at 20. Paperwork is needed to work oversees.

Whatever the situation, success only boils down to deciding on a goal, taking the required actions to acheive it, and never quitting until you have it.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Previous

Return to Social/Unrelated