Netgame's Cloud Nine or mGame's Holic 2.

Hacking Any Other Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Netgame's Cloud Nine or mGame's Holic 2.

Postby The Good Doctor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Hello everyone. I'd like to first say hello to you all as this is my first post and I didn't quite find a welcome section so I decided to skip the welcoming and get straight to the main reason I joined.

Firstly I'd like to ask if anyone is familiar with the game titled in this post? It has many names, so here are the ones I know about:

Holic - mGame USA and South Korea. This was the first game. I'd prefer a server of this a little more than that of the sequel, but this most likely will not be happening.
Lunatia - mGame Japan. I do not know if this is the full name, but I know that's what it is referred to in Japan.
Cloud Nine - The sequel/"expansion" to Holic. This is the USA title of the game. Very hard to find anything about it with a generic name like that.
Holic 2 - mGame Korea. As the title says: this is the sequel.
Expedicion Holic - The Colombian distribution of Holic 2. More advanced than USA's Cloud Nine and now defunct and merged with the lower-powered Cloud Nine.

I have absolutely no knowledge in private server development other than you need server files or emulation. I know how to run a private server for World of Warcraft as long as I download Mangos, if that tells you anything. I am a little advanced in computer knowledge, so depending on what you ask for I may be able to answer, though I'm noob enough to not understand MySQL at all other than I need it for an server related project.

Apparently talking about private servers is not forbidden on the main site as seen in this post: http://cloudnine.netgame.com/community/ ... /55/page/1 , where 2 people recommend looking for one and the GM doesn't bother to disregard the idea nor lock the topic. However, as they mention to the complainer (for the record is not me,) they have to look for one. Well, Googling around for days on end gave me only 1 result which is a downed server called "HolicBAR."

It's rather frustrating looking around Google's search results for a "Holic private server" because you'll get results with any page that has the word Holic in it and may even disregard the fact you put in for the search to pick up the words "private server." So every "Post-a-holic" or "Work-a-holic" that appears in the internet shows up in my search. Fine. Let's look up Cloud Nine. "Cloud Nine private server" shows results for any site that has the word "Cloud" in it this time. So now we have every "Cloud Computing host" and "I'm on cloud 9" phrase on the internet in my search. Oh, it also may include some Rune Scape server called "Cloud Nine RO." I'm not looking for that. Nor the Cloud Nine Clan for whatever game they think they're big about.

I don't know how to browse FTP sites well, but after Googling around for sometime some months ago I found the original Holic client installer on a game hosting site. The link was directly to Netgame's FTP server in a directory named "Client." Now I highly doubt there would be a directory called "Server Files for The Good Doctor" on there, but what else would they put for FTP for that game other than the client? Updates would be possible and happily accepted, but no use to someone who doesn't have the files needed to play the closed game or the monopolized Cloud Nine.

Monopolized probably isn't the right word because I've read from every Colombian player after the server merge that our game is horrible compared to theirs. That's probably typical for first-day merge sufferers, however they're right. They had better drop rates on things that should be at least a little more common and better success rates on things that players cannot even get on Cloud Nine. They also had just many more advantages form their GM and development team actually listening to the players instead of hearing the players thoughts and flushing them right down the toilet after they got done talking like the USA team does. If anything, at least the Colombian game translated everything correctly from Korean to Spanish, unlike our half-ass dev team does for Cloud Nine. They stick the dialogue in Google Translate, which translates everything word for word, not the translated language's sentence structure and produces something that should have translated "I'm going to kill the man that killed my brother!" into something like "Killing the man brother is going to killed my!" because of limitations that we understand but should not be used by "professional" businesses.

Sorry about the long story, it will most likely wind up skipped with a TL/DR and have someone calling me a whiny noob. So here's what I'm mainly trying to get at after explaining my reasoning: I've never made a private server for a game before other than using someone elses "all in one" type download. So what all would I need to do or get in order to do anything with the game for a start on this project? And if anyone's interested, by all means let's try and help each other.

Thank you for your patience.

EDIT: That is, if I'm allowed to ask for this.
The Good Doctor
I Have A Question

Return to Others (MMORPG)