Tribes 2 Breakpoint Handler

Link to Your Cheats/Injections From Here

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Tribes 2 Breakpoint Handler

Postby LouCypher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:36 am

Download

This is a simple example of a breakpoint handler for T2, source code included.

It currently only enables markers in Observer Mode. Credit to NoFiX for finding the location, L-Spiro for providing original sample breakpoint handler source and D3 breakpoint handler which I based this one on.

Due to problems with the debugging speed, it isn't very useful right now. Hopefully L-Spiro will resolve those issues in a future version. It will work in 2.0.7.8 too but don't expect to be able to actually play because of severe lag caused by the massive number of exceptions T2 triggers.

ps - FIRST POST!
LouCypher
Hackleberry Fin

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 am

As LouCypher mentioned, Tribes 2 triggers massive amounts of software exceptions (access violations).

Memory Hacking Software’s debugger was originally designed under the assumption that most of a game’s access violations would be caused by Memory Hacking Software itself, because that is how software read/write breakpoints work.

It was assumed that no game would be put together so poorly as to be constantly throwing access-violation exceptions with no cause.

Tribes 2 is a game famous for being so buggy out of the box that you absolutely must have patches to play it.
My first Tribes 2 experience involved jumping into a vehicle, and when the vehicle drove around, my guy drove with it, but my camera stayed in one spot, so I could watch my guy driving the vehicle, at least until I went over a hill where I would have to jump out and back in again to move my camera near.

Over the course of several patches they fixed many access-violation bugs simply by using IsBadReadPtr(), which is a function that checks for read access on addresses by attempting to read from them and then catching any exceptions that arise.
These exceptions are access violations, which is why Tribes 2 is constantly spamming access violations and lagging my debugger.

I fixed the speed issue in 3.0.0.2 Pro by checking to see if any software read/write breakpoints have been set, and, if not, immediately breaking from the trap.
This makes the game run at normal speed while being debugged, however there are some new problems with debugging it, and I have to find the time to look into it.

I will be completely rewriting the debugger in one of the future releases, and it will fix all problems.
the breakpoint handlers will be faster and more powerful, yet backwards compatible so this cheat will still work in future editions.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby slointe » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:52 am

Tribes sure did run like crap but I didn't ever know why.

I once met the lead programmer for Tribes (Mark Frohmeyer) and his cohorts at a TribesCon up here in WA a few years back. He was only like 19 or 20 at the time so can imagine he has improved a bit by now. Hopefully.
slointe
Hackleberry Fin

Re: Tribes 2 Breakpoint Handler

Postby protex » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:13 pm

WOW
thereverend.do.am ////|||||\\\\

protex
Hacker Smacker

Return to Cheats/Injections