GoldenEye 007™ and Perfect Dark™

Hacking Any Project64 or Emulated Nintendo 64 Games

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

GoldenEye 007™ and Perfect Dark™

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:25 am

http://www.memoryhacking.com/GEHacking/Index.html

These maps were created by making a Project64 breakpoint handler for Memory Hacking Software.

Using the breakpoint handler, a breakpoint would trigger my DLL function once per frame.
From there, I got the polygon/map data for all currently loaded rooms in Perfect Dark™ and GoldenEye 007™.
The game only loads a few rooms at a time.

I walked through each level, and the breakpoints called my DLL functions each frame, allowing me to store each new room as I walked around.

Finally, My DLL comes with a dialog interface that allows me to export the maps at a press of a button, creating these text files.

The text files are stored in the most obvious way so that they are the most portable, and can be ported to any 3-D software or any game.

On the link above, under Tools, there is a viewer for the maps:
DirectX Map Viewer
This allows you to view all the maps in 3-D.
Navigate with QWEASD and the mouse. Click the left and right buttons and drag the mouse to change the camera.

There are also texture packs but they were not dumped by me.

This is an example of what you can do with the breakpoint handlers, and I will extend this example with the scripts after the debugger is rewritten, so that this exporter can become available for all.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:38 pm

wow thats superb

great job LS 8)

Postby varemenos » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:39 pm

^
|
that was me :roll: forgot to log in lol
varemenos
Been Around More

Re: GoldenEye 007™ and Perfect Dark™

Postby Seldoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:38 am

Hi there,

How did you made those text file? You are talking about breaking a point did you made those with Ollydbg?
Seldoon
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:29 am

As explained, I used a breakpoint handler (DLL) loaded into MHS.
The only tool that was used was MHS. Today, this tool could be written even more easily using breakpoint scripts.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby Seldoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks L. Spiro. I'll give a try.
Seldoon
I Have A Few Questions

Postby Seldoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:42 pm

I tried last night and to be honest this is too hard compared to my level of hacking. I would rather to know if there were a video tutorial or something like that which could explain me step by step how to export the map from Perfect Dark Room to .txt?

Or maybe someone could make me a favour and export those maps as .txt?

• area_52
  • warehouse
  • grid
  • villa
  • base
  • fortress
  • carrington_institute

Thanks. Alex.
Seldoon
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:17 am

Exporting the maps is not simple enough or a tutorial to cover. You need a lot of background knowledge on how Nintendo 64 works (display lists etc.)
Some of those maps I believe I have already exported and have at home on a computer that is still in its box.
If not, I will try to get them when I can.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby Seldoon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:32 am

You need a lot of background knowledge on how Nintendo 64 works (display lists etc.)

Qft. I looked around the tutorial and tried the beginner tuts without great success. I always misunderstand a step or this kind of stuff... :(

Also I don't really get the time to learn hacking as I'm a level-designer who want to recreate the good old time! ^^

If not, I will try to get them when I can.

That's would be awesome!
Seldoon
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:29 am

Recreating the good times was the reason I extracted the maps in the first place.
I ported them over to Starsiege: Tribes and donated them to the GoldenEye Source community (shortly after which Nick committed suicide).
I still plan to make more advanced features to allow fully automated construction of maps using this data.

In WorldCraft/Hammer this means creating solid convex objects around the world, whereas in UnrealEd this means subtracting solid convex objects from the world.
I lost the source code for the tool used to dump these files on the site, but I will be making a new one with more powerful features to deconstruct the map data, build solid objects from it, and fully reconstruct map files that can be used directly by WorldCraft/Hammer and UnrealEd.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby Seldoon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Hey L. Spiro,

That's would be really interesting. I'm currently working on Perfect Dark: Source as Level-designer and tbh I've got some issue to keep the proportion right and to balance the gameplay well. I'm working on the dev map in Hammer (Source engine) using your software PerfectMapperDX to export from the original and then building a new one compared to the exported map. The .txt map file you extracted is very useful.

I don't really want to disturb you so fell free to contact me if you find some time to extract the maps I listed before.

Thanks you. Alex.
Seldoon
I Have A Few Questions

Return to Nintendo 64 ROMs