Beginner with a Snes game

Hacking Any ZSNES or Emulated Super Nintendo Entertainment System Games

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Beginner with a Snes game

Postby Orca » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:32 am

Well first off let me thank you for this great piece of equipment L Spiro!
It seems much more capable then the other alternatives (Tsearch / Cheatengine) , Im not saying those are bad but :).

Now Ill jump to the questions:

I am currently playing a oldie rpg , Secret of mana 2 (Seiken densetsu 3), I have a little experience with memory editing but not a lot.

I can easily change some of the values (Gold, exp) but I'm wondering about how to start with some of the more complex factors in the game.

Would it be for say possible to edit the knights attack speed (Duran , ingame has a slower attack and slower recuperation from attacking compared to hawk the thief, or so It seems), How would I go about something like this?

Or something else Ive seen done in certain cheats for other games , say increasing the experience gained for killing a monster (Some of the cheats, just blatantly give you 9999999 experience on a kill however I find that to take some of the challenge from the game)

I don't know if I need a hold my hand through it explanation or just a few hints on how to go about it , but any help is appreciated.

Thanks again too for the great tool.
Orca
I Have A Question

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Finding speed modifiers is not as easy since they do not change.

My advice is to find something related to your character or weapon, and in that area of RAM simply start changing things until you find something that changes the speed of your attack.

Use the real-time hex editor to easily see a lot of the data related to your player and attack.
Find your player HP as you have done, then view that area with the hex editor.
Attack and you will see values changing to blue. These values are related to your attack. But your attack speed won’t turn blue since it will not change. You have to look for it in that area.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:43 pm

L. Spiro wrote:Finding speed modifiers is not as easy since they do not change.

My advice is to find something related to your character or weapon, and in that area of RAM simply start changing things until you find something that changes the speed of your attack.

Use the real-time hex editor to easily see a lot of the data related to your player and attack.
Attack and you will see values changing to blue. These values are related to your attack. But your attack speed won’t turn blue since it will not change. You have to look for it in that area.

L. Spiro

I had thought the attack speed would be somewhat complex , but I will look into what you suggested ,

thanks spiro :)

I wanna play it too

Postby WhiteHat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:55 pm

A friend of mine said that this Secret of mana 2 (Seiken densetsu 3) is a great game...
Decided to play it too. Got the ZSNES and another emulator which i forgot what its name,
and also downloaded the ROM...

The ZSNES is not working, while the other one is working but with a jagged graphics.
Everytime i try to change the display setup to 'Super-Eagle' plugin thingy, the emulator
crashed... The plugin, said to be able to improve the graphics smoothness up to 4x than
normal mode... My graphics card is Nvidia 7600 anyway.

So, a little off topic q: What's the solution i should look into ?

Thanks in advance ... :)
WhiteHat
Elang Djawa

Postby L. Spiro » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:15 am

I have had no problems with ZSNES, and my solution would be to play without advanced settings. Pixels are fine and really improve the graphics by bringing back the nostalgic feel to them.

L. Spiro
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby WhiteHat » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:08 am

My ZSNES seems to be damaged. Perhaps due virus attack months ago...
Guess i have to download a new one...

For now i use SNES9x (or something like that). And the SuperEagle plugins works fine in as long as the emulator run in full screen mode...

So, the problem is solved...

:)
WhiteHat
Elang Djawa

Re: Beginner with a Snes game

Postby jungletek » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Sorry for the necro post, but this is a great suggestion. I'm basically self taught with memhacking, as it tends to be fairly simple stuff... at least pokes and pointers, etc.
Somehow I'd not thought to do this, even though I understand the concept of structs.

Thanks for being the patient benevolent leader that you are, and for the awesome program that is MHS.
jungletek
I Have A Few Questions

Return to Super Nintendo Entertainment System ROMs