Creating an unpacking tool

Discussions Related to Game Hacking and Memory Hacking Software

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Creating an unpacking tool

Postby KoSThem » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:04 am

I was looking for some help in creating and unpacking tool to unpack .pak files. I know c++ and I think I could do it in that but I'm not sure where to start. I have winhex and I know how the files are packed. I can follow the comas ect. When they unpack I want them to form into csv files.

Now this is what I need help doing. I don't know how to bring the information in from the data pak. I assume i'd do it using winhex, but if I make .exe file to do this, can it open winhex and then take the data from there? Also, when I get to that I don't know if I can use the set data on the right that has the characters, or should I go off the hexidecimal values and program it to pick the hexidecimal and sort from there and output the numbers I want. And then my last question, I'm not sure how to change rows and columns on my cell format via C++ for the output, would I do this with vectors or just get the whole thing in a matrice and output the matrice into cells?

I'm doing this for making a private server of dekaron with the latest korean files.

Thanks for the help.
KoSThem
Hackleberry Fin

Postby L. Spiro » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:32 am

It is absolutely abstract what you want to do.

Did you decompress the files already?
If so, how does a hex editor come into play for any purpose other than looking at the data? Why would you “bring information in” using a hex editor instead of just loading the file from your C++ code?

Do you only want to look at the data or do you want to modify it? If you want to modify the file you must also create a packer.

If you already unpacked the data, again why not just make a C++ parser to organize it into an Excel sheet?
What formatting of cells?

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby KoSThem » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:44 am

The game version has all of its data in a .pak file. when you unpak it, its best unpacked into a spreadsheet. I don't know how to infile data from the .pak file is what I'm saying. I use a hex editor to view the data yes. I assume when I figure out the unpacker, the packer should be relatively easy.
KoSThem
Hackleberry Fin

Postby L. Spiro » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:18 am

If you have the unpacked data, make a script to load it, parse it, and output it in Excel format.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby g3nuin3 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:29 am

kosthem, you want to be able to view the contents of a pak file? Doesnt this just require you to find out how the game does it and emulate this routine. Reversing the unpacking routine of the contents of the .pak file
g3nuin3
Acker

Postby Turtle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:18 am

There's several different game file unpacking tools out there:

Game Extractor
Multiex Commander
Dragon Unpacker

Those are the more popular ones I think.
Last edited by Turtle on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Turtle
I Ask A Lot Of Questions

Postby Cookie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:05 am

I guess you're talking about 2moons am I right ?Here's a PAK tool,its translated from chinese so view the help file...tell if it works ,if it doesnt ima keep looking on the other forums.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gtnomminmtt/Translated PAK Tool.rar
When you unpack the data.pak its gonna be a bunch of folders and CSV files,if you want to edit them,its the same as in Winhex ,only that u use microsoft excel to view the file,i suggest you use hack scripts instead of editing the csv file cause everytime you want to edit u must unpack-edit-pack .
Cookie
Hack-Master Hex

Re: Creating an unpacking tool

Postby x4NG3L » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:58 am

Google Unversal Extractor.

Unpack ths most filetypes and install packeges

^^
Knowledge is evolving.
x4NG3L
Sir Hacks-A-Lot

Return to General Related Discussions