Pointer Question

Discussions Related to Game Hacking and Memory Hacking Software

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Pointer Question

Postby jovialone » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 am

Hello everyone! I just moved over to this program from CE earlier today. So far I must say that I am extremely impressed with MHS. I am currently working on a game for my own amusement's sake.

The game has armor values for each physical location of the player body. For example: 0x0640DB2E is the right arm. Each body part is part of the range 0x0640DB2E to 0x0640DF2E, there are gaps between each one because of the locations that are responsible for the visual armor status on my HUD. (And therefore useless for my purposes) ;)

At any rate, these addresses are not static and since the Find what writes/accesses in MHS crashes the game out I have been searching the long way that was explained here http://memoryhacking.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2592 by Josese.

As per his tutorial I have been building my complex, but have made no progress as of yet! It seems I wind up running in circles and rereferencing a pointer later in the chain. X_X That and I run into multiple closest pointers ( i.e. 3 addresses are -22 away). I thought I was doing well but.... you can probably see my confusion from that step.

Any tips would be appreciated on how to proceed.
jovialone
I Have A Few Questions

Postby L. Spiro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:57 am

How does it crash the game?
Ensure that hardware breakpoints are being used in the Tools/Options/Disassembler dialog. If they are, change them to being unset.

Having multiple nearest pointers is normal. Frequently, any of them can be used. If using one gives you troubles, use a different one. If they all fail, go to the second-nearest pointer.

As for your looping, you will have to provide more examples of what it is doing.
It could be a linked-list.

L. Spiro
Our songs remind you of songs you’ve never heard.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro

Postby jovialone » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 am

Hmmm, as far as the game crash it just disappears without any error messages at all and no crash events in the admin tool: event viewer.

I unset the hardware breakpoints in the disassembler options and still a no go. I suppose since CE's disassembler works for me if i have to I can always use that one instead.

I'll put some examples together tonight and post them when i get them done :D

Have a good one!
jovialone
I Have A Few Questions

Postby Aspras » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 am

Try choosing the second closest pointer at the spot where it starts looping.
Aspras
NULL

Postby jovialone » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:21 am

So I figured out why the game is crashing on me without any error messages :D

It turns out the game is protected with Safecast 1.50.02 r4 which seems to have some kind of disassembler detection / game process termination in it. I am currently looking to either use ollydbg to step over the process kill commands or remove the safecast from the game entirely.

So far the safecast removals have been failures using UnSafedisc, I believe this is because the version I am dealing with needs me to do something to it before i try to unsafedisc it but I havent found anything about what to do yet.

Jeeze all this just to use a disassembler? Bah. Well all I know is that doing all of this will allow me to use MHS without a hitch on my favorite game.

Just thought I would let everyone know whats been going on here in case it helps anyone.
jovialone
I Have A Few Questions

Return to General Related Discussions