Game Hacking Books

Discussions Related to Game Hacking and Memory Hacking Software

Moderators: g3nuin3, SpeedWing, WhiteHat, mezzo

Game Hacking Books

Postby Kalagaraz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:15 pm

I just finished reading a great book by Gary McGraw called "Exploiting Online Games". A large majority of the book was about writing bots, but there was a couple sections on where to look in a game to find exploits that I found most interesting. There is also a reverse engineering section which teaches some basic assembly and shows how to map out a program from scratch using some UML diagrams and such. I picked up a few new tools from this book I've never used before which are really useful (Process Explorer was one, think I read about it before, but didn't really realize it's potential untill this book) and it also linked to rootkit tools and gave some information on how to make your bots and other hack programs extemely hard to detect.

Anyways, the reason for this post is I was wanting to know if anyone else knows of any other great game hacking books? The fun for me was learning how to write game hacks, but as I grow more experienced, tutorials on sites like this and cheatengine are not really showing me anything new. (Granted I do pick up a few new things here and there, but nothing really major). All the tutorials seemed to be based on implementing hacks, doing DLL injections etc..., but there are hardly any tutorials on how to search for exploits or any real world experiences on how some well known exploits were discovered (main reason I loved the exploiting online games book).

One technique presented in the book was a method to find dupe bugs was to find a spot in the game your playing that would cause a transition between servers (Instances in WoW was used as an example). Then trade something with another player and immediately zone between servers and during zoning, pulling your ethernet cable. The book goes into more detail about WHY this would potentially work, but it was a new method for me to try in new games I play and such. I just wish there were more tutorials like this.

Anyways, thanks in advanced for taking the time to read my post,
Kalagaraz
Kalagaraz
I Have A Few Questions

Return to General Related Discussions